strong ghost image

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2002
      I bought this partial brockage cent from ECIE member iberdy2:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1342723000

      It's got one of the strongest obverse ghost images that I've seen in
      a partial brockage or indent. You don't often see a strong ghost of
      LIBERTY. I've got an interest in ghost images and I'm preparing a
      multi-part study for Errorscope.

      I suspect that this particular ghost is so strong because the
      intruding coin was probably thin, allowing a strong image to bleed
      through it from the obverse die. It could have been a broadstrike or
      an off-center cent. I can't tell which because the brockage is so
      poorly preserved.