Re: "Die Cap Strike" vs "Capped Die Strike"

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2002
      The proper term for the coin you bought is a "die cap" (specifically,
      an obverse die cap with full brockage reverse). A "die cap" is the
      coin that sticks to the die and strikes a series of incoming
      planchets. A "capped die" is the die together with the cap that has
      adhered to it. A "capped die strike" is a coin that is struck by a
      capped die.

      That being said, you'll find all three terms misapplied in all sorts
      of ways. I've seen die caps labelled "capped die strikes",
      and "capped dies". It causes quite a bit of confusion, to say the

      As regards your second question, I usually say "foldover strike", but
      I have no strong objection to the alternative you've mentioned.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., magnus95 <no_reply@y...>