2001-D nickel on foreign planchet

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8 5:14 AM
      I was able to personally examine the 2001-D nickel struck on a foreign
      planchet that recently sold on eBay (I know the winner). Rich Schemmer
      was right -- it looks to grade AU-55 or AU-58.

      Anyway, I subjected it to a specific gravity test and it comes out
      denser than a normal nickel -- 9.22 vs. the expected 8.92. I performed
      the test twice to make sure my results were accurate. The unexpectedly
      high value suggests something other than a typical copper-nickel alloy.