Re: Chambers' info on overstruck 1/4 ru...

  • mdia1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2006
      You would need to present positive evidence of the counterfeit nature of the cent and nickel strikes to make your suspicions stick.  "Spikes", toolmarks, unnaturally smooth surfaces, etc.  It would seem simpler to posit that these mutilated Indian coins were inserted into a genuine coinage press.  A lot of funky stuff ended up being struck by the Mint in 1964.
      As I recall, the nickel dies that struck Al's 1/4 rupee were quite worn, something you generally don't find in counterfeits.
      In a message dated 6/7/2006 9:48:26 PM Central Standard Time, adkinstone@... writes:
      You didn't suggest it Diamond, I've always thought that these india
      overstrikes are from false usa dies were made to appear to be
      inconceviable restrike errors. Its not so difficult you know to
      assume this since 1964 is documented to have numerous counterfit
      dies known. Lonsome's profusely illustrated Counterfit detection
      book comes to mind.

      Thats great you didn't win it recently at what, just a grand or so?
      You mentioned it presence after the it's recent auction occured I
      thought? Too much money for me whether it's in or out of a slab. I
      don't like it(them).