Re: Chambers' info on overstruck 1/4 rupees

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2006
      I don't recall anyone ever suggesting that the 1/4 rupee coins were
      struck by fake U.S. dies. The coin in the recent Heritage auction
      seemed to have all the characteristics of a genuine strike. That
      fact that it was slabbed would seem to support this. I'm sure Al can
      corroborate that the overstrike is authentic.

      I don't know whether the vise story is true, or whether they were
      cancelled in Calcutta, or something else. All I can say is that they
      have severe, patterned damage that occurred some time after the first
      strike in the 1940s and before the second strike in 1964.

      I don't have one, but it's not a critical acquisition for me. It'd
      just be nice to have. I did recently buy an intentional Malaysian
      error featuring a 2005 20 sen struck over a 1988-or-earlier 20 sen of
      a different design.

      <adkinstone@...> wrote:

      > Oh Mike Diamond, concerning these cancelled india coins overstruck
      > by false 1964 usa dies, I have always thought they were altered
      > items, but that's just my observation from what I've seen in pix in
      > print. But, they do get slabbed by Even~the~Best,like yours right?
      > Sorry for your loss. You did get one recently right?
      >
      > I like this Chambers old & yet new~to~me story of diamonds
      imparted
      > by a vise. It makes perfect sense to me.
      >
      > Lindy
    • Al C.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2006
        It looks real to my untrained eyes:)