Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] More info on overstruck 1/4 rupees

  • Al C.
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 7, 2006
      Interesting, was this done before the first strike or
      second strike?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 7, 2006
        It was done in the mint (presumably the Denver mint) long after the
        Indian coin was struck and before it was struck by nickel dies.
        That's the story, anyway.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Al C."
        <bull102797@...> wrote:

        > Interesting, was this done before the first strike or
        > second strike?
        >
        > --- Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I spoke to Mike Chambers about 1964 coins struck
        > > over 1/4 rupee coins
        > > from the 1940's. He says he was told by a former
        > > mint employee that
        > > the diamond-shaped "cancellation marks" are instead
        > > indentations caused
        > > by the coins being compressed in a vise. The two
        > > faces of the vise had
        > > diamond-shaped bumps on the surface to helf prevent
        > > slippage of items
        > > placed in the vise.
        > >
        > > I cannot determine the veracity of Mike's source.
        > > Mike also did not
        > > have any insights as to why this "hand preparation"
        > > was done prior to
        > > the strike.
      • Al C.
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 7, 2006
          Interesting indeed, but I have never seen a
          diamond-shaped bumps on a vise, I guess the mint
          workers could have been bored.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 7, 2006
            It's best to regard any third-hand report with a healthy dose of
            skepticism.

            <bull102797@...> wrote:

            > Interesting indeed, but I have never seen a
            > diamond-shaped bumps on a vise, I guess the mint
            > workers could have been bored.
          • Bill Snyder
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
              I've just put a picture of an India coin with diamond (or square)
              pattern in the default album.
              Is this the same pattern you are discussing?

              Bill

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
                No, the diamonds I was talking about are small and incuse. Maybe Al
                can post a picture of his coin for you.

                Your coin is interesting, though. I haven't seen this kind of
                damage/alteration before.

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Snyder"
                <billsnyder2000@...> wrote:

                > I've just put a picture of an India coin with diamond (or square)
                > pattern in the default album.
                > Is this the same pattern you are discussing?
                >
                > Bill
              • Bill Snyder
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
                  I can't seem to find that edition of Alan Herbert's book.
                  Could someone someone post a picture?

                  Thanks,
                  Bill

                  <adkinstone@...> wrote:

                  > Interesting Bill, I've never seen that pattern before.
                  >
                  > Please see Page 262 in Alan Herbert's Minting Varieties and Errors,
                  > 1991, 5th ed for a pic of the diamond pattern cancelation on a
                  > 1940's india coin which was then restruck by 1964 1c die pair.
                  >
                  > Lindy
                  >
                  > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Snyder"
                  > <billsnyder2000@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > I've just put a picture of an India coin with diamond (or
                  > square)
                  > > pattern in the default album.
                  > > Is this the same pattern you are discussing?
                  > >
                  > > Bill
                  > >
                  > > ******************************************************************
                  > >

                  > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond"
                  > > <mdia1@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I spoke to Mike Chambers about 1964 coins struck over 1/4 rupee
                  > coins
                  > > > from the 1940's. He says he was told by a former mint employee
                  > that
                  > > > the diamond-shaped "cancellation marks" are instead indentations
                  > caused
                  > > > by the coins being compressed in a vise. The two faces of the
                  > vise had
                  > > > diamond-shaped bumps on the surface to helf prevent slippage of
                  > items
                  > > > placed in the vise.
                  > > >
                  > > > I cannot determine the veracity of Mike's source. Mike also did
                  > not
                  > > > have any insights as to why this "hand preparation" was done
                  > prior to
                  > > > the strike.

                • Al C.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
                    Here are two pictures:

                    <billsnyder2000@ ...> wrote:

                    > I've just put a picture of an India coin with diamond (or square)
                    > pattern in the default album.
                    > Is this the same pattern you are discussing?
                    >
                    > Bill

                  • Bill Snyder
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
                      Thank you, Al.

                      I was only able to get the 2nd picture but it gives a very good look.

                      Regards,
                      Bill

                      http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/LALASD4/1964-DStruckonadamagedIndia1940ANAC.jpg

                      > http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/LALASD4/2.jpg

                    • Al C.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
                        By your command.

                        http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/LALASD4/OBV1.jpg

                        --- mrlindy2000 <adkinstone@...> wrote:

                        > Good Job Al C!!!!!!
                        >
                        > Thats easily the BEST reverse scan I have ever seen
                        > of one of these
                        > unexplainable error overstrikes!!!
                        >
                        > I agree with you(now), it does look like a real 5c
                        > denver reverse
                        > die strike.
                        >
                        > Your obverse link is not showing up. Can you fix it
                        > please???
                        >
                        > Lindy
                        >
                        > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                        > "Al C."
                        > <bull102797@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Here are two pictures:
                        > >

                        > http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/LALASD4/1964-
                        > DStruckonadamagedIndia1940ANAC.jpg
                        > >

                        > http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/LALASD4/2.jpg

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Al C.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
                          Not sure but this is the only 5c that I have seen, and
                          it will not go anywhere for a few years. I don't think
                          we have enough info. to write a story, but you guys
                          can print the scans.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com