Re: New Discovery Mint Error from Mike Byers

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006
      The details are too faint and jumbled for me to count the number of
      strikes. I have seen one recent in-collar triple struck dime with
      rotation between each strike in which the first strike is still
      clearly visible.

      Given how soft a 91% gold alloy is, I would think striking pressure
      would be significantly lower than copper. But I have no data to back
      up that assumption.

      For clarification as to the nature and origin of the three surface
      film effects (surface film doubling, surface film afterimage, surface
      film transfer) just type in those keywords into the Search box.