Re: New Discovery Mint Error from Mike Byers

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006
      I don't know why it's not more expanded, but it certainly looks like
      a case of multiple strikes to me.

      I see no signs of a surface film afterimage. Surface film
      afterimages occur in the context of multiple strikes anyway. It's a
      shadow of the design that remains even if the actual raised design is
      completely obliterated by later strikes. It's caused by oil or grime
      on the coin.

      Perhaps you were thinking of "surface film transfer", in which you
      can get an extra image with only one strike. I see no sign of that,
      either.

      <adkinstone@...> wrote:

      > Nice gold coin Mike.
      >
      > I am clueless about Gold but something bugs me about it. I do not
      > understand why a piece, "struck 4 times", without a collar would
      still
      > be normal sized.
      >
      > I wondering if the 3 and 4 strike you see are "surface film
      > afterimage".
      >
      > I think thats the correct term?
      >
      > Lindy
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Double Struck (actually 4x) $5 Capped Bust 1806 Rare Variety PCGS
      AU

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006
        The details are too faint and jumbled for me to count the number of
        strikes. I have seen one recent in-collar triple struck dime with
        rotation between each strike in which the first strike is still
        clearly visible.

        Given how soft a 91% gold alloy is, I would think striking pressure
        would be significantly lower than copper. But I have no data to back
        up that assumption.

        For clarification as to the nature and origin of the three surface
        film effects (surface film doubling, surface film afterimage, surface
        film transfer) just type in those keywords into the Search box.