New Discovery Mint Error from Mike Byers

  • byersnc
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2006
      Double Struck (actually 4x) $5 Capped Bust 1806 Rare Variety PCGS AU 50

      http://mikebyers.com/03392903.html

      Mike Byers
      http://mikebyers.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006
        I don't know why it's not more expanded, but it certainly looks like
        a case of multiple strikes to me.

        I see no signs of a surface film afterimage. Surface film
        afterimages occur in the context of multiple strikes anyway. It's a
        shadow of the design that remains even if the actual raised design is
        completely obliterated by later strikes. It's caused by oil or grime
        on the coin.

        Perhaps you were thinking of "surface film transfer", in which you
        can get an extra image with only one strike. I see no sign of that,
        either.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006
          The details are too faint and jumbled for me to count the number of
          strikes. I have seen one recent in-collar triple struck dime with
          rotation between each strike in which the first strike is still
          clearly visible.

          Given how soft a 91% gold alloy is, I would think striking pressure
          would be significantly lower than copper. But I have no data to back
          up that assumption.

          For clarification as to the nature and origin of the three surface
          film effects (surface film doubling, surface film afterimage, surface
          film transfer) just type in those keywords into the Search box.