off-center "invisible strike" nickel

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31 5:34 PM
      Matt (send4matt) sent me some enlarged images of his curious off-
      center nickel with brockage on the obverse face. I've placed the
      images in the "weak strikes and die trials" album. I'm increasingly
      convinced that this is an off-center "invisible strike". Apparently
      the dies were so far apart at their closest approach that this would
      have ended up as a blank planchet had another coin not intruded into
      the striking chamber. This coin took up the excess space between the
      two dies and permitted the reverse die to make an impression where
      the coin and the die overlapped in vertical space.

      This error is similar to the 1969-D nickel that I've also placed in
      this album. This too has an off-center invisible strike, although
      here it occurred on the second strike. This nickel was discussed in
      earlier posts.