A fake weak strike?

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
      This New Jersey quarter looks like a weak strike ("die trial") but is
      rather suspicious looking for a number of reasons:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1341810952

      The weak features look unusually flat. Also weak areas on the
      reverse do not coincide with weakness on the obverse. For example,
      the "weakly struck" area near the rim at 12:00 on the reverse is
      opposed by a well struck area at 6:00 on the obverse. I suspect this
      coin has had its surfaces -- including the edge -- polished down.
    • yczavala
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
        Perhaps a vise job up against a large washer?

        YZ

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., "dermestid" <mdia1@a...>
        wrote:
        > This New Jersey quarter looks like a weak strike ("die trial") but
        is
        > rather suspicious looking for a number of reasons:
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1341810952
        >
        > The weak features look unusually flat. Also weak areas on the
        > reverse do not coincide with weakness on the obverse. For example,
        > the "weakly struck" area near the rim at 12:00 on the reverse is
        > opposed by a well struck area at 6:00 on the obverse. I suspect
        this
        > coin has had its surfaces -- including the edge -- polished down.
      • pwrwgndrvr
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
          Mike called this one right - not only are the correlations between
          obv and rev defects damning, read the guys description - "This
          quarter is not as large, or as thick as regular quarter...hasn't been
          fooled with".
          So what does that mean? The guy that ground it down wasn't a fool?
          But a fool may believe him and buy it.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., yczavala <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > Perhaps a vise job up against a large washer?
          >
          > YZ
          >

          > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., "dermestid" <mdia1@a...>
          > wrote:
          > > This New Jersey quarter looks like a weak strike ("die trial")
          but
          > is
          > > rather suspicious looking for a number of reasons:
          > >
          > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1341810952
          > >
          > > The weak features look unusually flat. Also weak areas on the
          > > reverse do not coincide with weakness on the obverse. For
          example,
          > > the "weakly struck" area near the rim at 12:00 on the reverse is
          > > opposed by a well struck area at 6:00 on the obverse. I suspect
          > this
          > > coin has had its surfaces -- including the edge -- polished down.
        • richerrors
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., pwrwgndrvr <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > Mike called this one right - not only are the correlations between
            > obv and rev defects damning, read the guys description - "This
            > quarter is not as large, or as thick as regular quarter...hasn't
            been
            > fooled with".
            > So what does that mean? The guy that ground it down wasn't a fool?
            > But a fool may believe him and buy it.
            >

            > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., yczavala <no_reply@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > Perhaps a vise job up against a large washer?
            > >
            > > YZ
            > >

            > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., "dermestid"
            <mdia1@a...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > This New Jersey quarter looks like a weak strike ("die trial")
            > but
            > > is
            > > > rather suspicious looking for a number of reasons:
            > > >
            > > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1341810952
            > > >
            > > > The weak features look unusually flat. Also weak areas on the
            > > > reverse do not coincide with weakness on the obverse. For
            > example,
            > > > the "weakly struck" area near the rim at 12:00 on the reverse
            is
            > > > opposed by a well struck area at 6:00 on the obverse. I
            suspect
            > > this
            > > > coin has had its surfaces -- including the edge -- polished
            down.

            I agree with all, coin looks bad and "BU" (Butt Ugly)LOL
            Best way to authenticate a coin like that! Weigh it..
            A DAS has to be of correct weight
            Thanx
            Rich
            Rich Schemmer Error Coins