Interesting bonded pair

    Message 1 of 3 , May 21, 2006
      This pair of Malaysian 10 sen coins was bonded together by the force of
      the strike:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=8422438808

      There were at least two strikes. The bottom coin was apparently struck
      once normally. Then it was struck off-center while partially covered
      by a struck coin. That struck coin was, in turn, overlapped by an
      unstruck planchet. Then all three were struck together.

      It's also possible that three strikes were involved. The bottom coin
      may have been struck a second time off-center with a planchet on top.
      Then it was struck a third time with the top coin partly covered by a
      third planchet. This smeared the design. There would have been little
      or no movement of the bottom coin during the third strike.

      Once in hand, perhaps I'll be able to tease apart these two scenarios.

      I haven't seen very many bonded pairs involving coins of a solid copper-
      nickel alloy. I don't know if they bond less frequently than other
      compositions. Maybe there's another explanation for their relative
      rarity.

      I was hoping to get this coin for a song, but a high reserve and
      unanticipated competition produced a higher price than I expected.
      Still, I figure I got it at a better than break-even price.
    • Rob Risi
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2006
        WOW A COOL BONDED COIN ERROR MIKE.I MISSED THIS ONE...I DIDN'T CHECK THE WORLD ERRORS ON EBAY FOR OVER 5 DAYS....I MAY NOT HAVE BIDDED THAT HIGH ANYWAY, WHICH IS STILL A DECENT PRICE.
        ROB

        Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:
[...]

        Ring'em or ping'em. Make PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2006
          The second scenario is evidently the correct one. There are three
          clear strikes on the reverse.