weld seam planchets

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2002
      Has anyone out there encountered a cent (or any other denomination
      for that matter) struck on a weld seam planchet? I've only seen a
      picture of one such coin, a 1978 cent. You'd think they would be
      more common, at least as common as straight clips. After all, the
      welded ends of the coin metal strips are supposed to pass right
      through the blanking press.

      The absence of such coins suggests to me that there is something
      wrong in the published accounts of how bronze cents were produced at
      the Philadelphia Mint.