Hole-filler

    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 4:41 AM
      Although I try not to pay a lot for foreign errors, I couldn't pass
      this one up.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=8413338518

      Judging from the photos, it appears to have been struck between 20
      and 25 times. Most of the strikes are very closely spaced.

      I'd always wanted to add a super-multi-strike to my collection but
      I've not had the opportunity to cherrypick one. Dealer prices are in
      the thousands for domestic versions. I couldn't snag the 1998-P 100x
      nickel with a bid of $1800 in a recent Heritage auction.

      This coin will fill the hole until I can cherrypick one. It is
      possible. Matt Lenore got a 17x quarter listed as a broadstrike from
      eBay. The 100x nickel was purchased from a small coin shop as "multi-
      strike" with an original estimate of 7 strikes from a dealer who had
      little understanding of its value.

      This Malaysian coin looks like a legitmate (accidental) error,
      although I'm sure there was ample opportunity to slip it out. That
      stands in contrast to the Malaysian coins struck on larger planchets
      and coins and the many mules, which are undoubtedly assisted.
    • Rob Risi

        Message 3 of 8 , May 1 10:52 AM
          You're not alone, Rob. I've beaten myself up many times over missed
          opportunities. Keep your eyes open. Where's there's one there's
          sure to be another. Maybe Daniel will put up his 9X struck Italian
          coin at some point.

          If you look closely at the photo of the reverse, you can see numerous
          closely spaced strike lines. Twenty-five is just a guess. It might
          be a little more or it might be a little less.

          What I find intriguing about all these super-multistrikes is the slow
          crawl that the coin makes across the die face as it's being struck.
          Is the feed finger still feebly attempting to move the coin or is the
          vibration of the press moving the coin? Or perhaps there's another
          motive force involved.

          The 100x nickel showed the slowest crawl of all. The strike lines
          were so closely spaced that you need a microscope to resolve them. I
          could've bought that one for $2500 in a private sale, but that seemed
          rather overpriced for a coin in which the individual strikes were
          hard to make out.

          The earliest super-multistrike I know of is a 19th century Portuguese
          coin that appeared in Errorscope many years ago. I forget how many
          strikes it showed, but it was a lot.

          Fred Weinberg has a Pennsylvania quarter on his website that was
          struck an estimated 26 times. I'd love to give that puppy a home,
          but at $2800 that's not going to happen. At a shade over $100, my
          Malaysian 20 sen coin will be a suitable stand-in.

          The quad struck Malaysian coin was a nice one, too. But I'm way over
          budget for this quarter and I had no pressing need for a foreign quad
          strike. I've got four or five domestic quad strikes to satisfy that
          itch.

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi
          <rjrisi@...> wrote:

          > BOY MIKE YOU WANT TO MAKE ME CRY SOMETIMES.I WAS IN ON THIS COIN
          BUT I PASSED..LOOKED LIKE 3-4 STRIKES TO ME? HOW CAN YOU SEE OR TELL
          IT HAS 25 STRIKES???.......OH WELL...WHEN I SEE THAT YOU WON THIS
          COIN, I FIGURED IT MUST BE SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT IT.....
          > I LOST OUT ON THAT OTHER COIN FROM MALAYSIA AS WELL..SOLD FOR
          $74.99 WHICH APPEARED TO HAVE 4 STRIKES WITH ALL UNIFACE REVERSES.
          > ROB
        • The Guileys
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1 1:01 PM
            Well after deciding to maybe start collecting errors I decided that the
            first thing to do was read and learn as much as I could before buying.

            Last night I won my first error coin a 1979 quarter that is missing the
            clad layer...ANACS MS62.
            I might have overpaid but for under $50 I thought it was
            alright.....what do ya'll think?
            And then I went to the coin shop today and he had a nice 1998-P dime
            that was struck off center about 55% or so....I also might have paid a
            little more but I only spent $5 so I thought it was an ok way to kick
            off my error collection.
            I'm hoping to maybe look for some off metal errors next as that is the
            kind that I really like!

            You can see a photo of the quarter here:
            http://coins.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=66045&Lot_No=24600

            Spencer
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1 1:51 PM
              The prices you paid are fine. Welcome to the sickness. :)

              If you check my comprehensive Error/Variety checklist in the Files
              section, you'll see that there's a fantastic number of error types
              you can collect.

              I've tried to get everything on that list (within reason) in either a
              foreign or domestic version. Most folks prefer to specialize with an
              error type, a denomination, or an issue. The task is more manageable
              that way.

              For me, there's always the possibility of a new discovery just around
              the corner.

              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, The Guileys
              <guileys@...> wrote:

              > Well after deciding to maybe start collecting errors I decided that
              the
              > first thing to do was read and learn as much as I could before
              buying.

              > Last night I won my first error coin a 1979 quarter that is missing
              the
              > clad layer...ANACS MS62.
              > I might have overpaid but for under $50 I thought it was
              > alright.....what do ya'll think?
              > And then I went to the coin shop today and he had a nice 1998-P
              dime
              > that was struck off center about 55% or so....I also might have
              paid a
              > little more but I only spent $5 so I thought it was an ok way to
              kick
              > off my error collection.
              > I'm hoping to maybe look for some off metal errors next as that is
              the
              > kind that I really like!
              >
              > You can see a photo of the quarter here:
              > http://coins.heritageauctions.com/common/view_item.php?
              Sale_No=66045&Lot_No=24600

              > Spencer

            • The Guileys
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1 4:37 PM
                Hey Mike
                Its nice to know that I didn't overpay alot....
                I have your check list and have it printed out---I don't know how much
                I'll be collecting errors but wouldn't mind picking up many types of
                errors as time goes on---I have my eye on a few more ;-)

                Thanks again!

                Spencer

                Message 7 of 8 , May 19 10:55 AM
                  My estimated count was pretty close to the actual count. On both
                  faces I added up a total of 19 strikes. There was an initial normal
                  strike, 17 closely-spaced off-center strikes on the right side
                  (denomination side), and a final off-center strike on the left.

                  Again, I'm not sure what creates such closely and evenly spaced off-
                  center strikes. Is the feed finger feebly pushing the coin across
                  the die face? Is the coin moving due to vibration of the press? Or
                  does the strike itself providing the motive force?

                  In any case, it's a good hole-filler until such time as I cherrypick
                  a U.S. version.

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 19 11:06 AM
                    Ah, I just found a 20th strike. Just a tiny, way off-center strike
                    at about 1:00. It was struck after the 17 close strikes, but I don't
                    know if it occurred before or after the final large off-center strike.