eBay heads-up - possible ram strike?

  • seanqueue
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2002
      Mike et al,

      This coin looks to me like a ram strike:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1341094028

      It looks suspiciously like the '28-S Merc ram strike you (Mike) had in
      your Errorscope article - and it's from the same Mint.

      Sean Reynolds
      CONECA #N-2090
      (and former owner of said '28-S Merc)
    • dermestid
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22, 2002
        It sure looks like a ram strike. It certainly has all the diagnostic
        features you'd expect to see:

        1. A rounded shoulder on the face struck by the anvil die (obverse
        here).
        2. Truncation of the lettering adjacent to the shoulder.
        3. A high flange on the reverse opposite the shoulder.
        4. At the pole opposite the shoulder the design elements hug the edge.

        I will certainly be bidding if the price doesn't go too high. Thanks
        for the alert.

        Mike

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@y..., seanqueue <no_reply@y...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 22, 2002
          Well, I couldn't snag this one for $26, so I'm going to bow out of
          this auction. Since it only grades Fine, I didn't want to spend too
          much on it. If any ECIE member is going for it, best of luck to you.
        • dermestid
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 22, 2002
            Another reason why I didn't bid higher is because I cannot assess the
            edge of the coin. I like a fully developed ram strike -- one that
            was forced completely into a fully deployed collar. Such ram strikes
            have a narrow isthmus of reeding just above the middle of the
            shoulder and two zones of full reeding on either side. Then the
            reeding fades out toward the opposite pole.

            Some ram strikes are not fully developed for any number of reasons.
            Sometimes the collar collapses at the last possible moment, leaving
            only a partial collar flanking the isthmus (this partial collar also
            fades out toward the opposite pole). Sometimes you only get a strong
            collar scar. Ram strikes exist as part of a continuum. They are the
            next step up in severity from a cupped off-center strike with a deep
            collar scar. They're one step less severe than an elliptical strike
            clip.