clashed cap strikes -- a primer

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10 2:23 PM
      In post no. 1227, I mentioned an error called a "clashed cap
      strike". The concept and terminology goes back at least to the
      early '70s.

      Most clashed caps involve a late-stage die cap with a featureless
      reverse. The first strike of such a clashed cap ("clashed cap
      strike -- first impression") therefore features a sharp, unexpanded
      brockage superimposed over a strong raised ghost of the obverse
      design.

      Of course, any kind of cap can strike the anvil die.

      If a mid-stage obverse die cap strikes the anvil die, then you'll see
      a sharp unexpanded brockage superimposed over a stretched out,
      distorted brockage.

      If a cap that was striking counterbrockages collides directly with
      the anvil die, then you'll see a sharp unexpanded brockage
      superimposed over a counterbrockage.

      Other possibilities exist beyond these.

      For some reason, first impression clashed cap strikes appear to be
      much more common than true first-strike brockages. Unfortunately,
      these clashed caps are often sold as first-strike brockages.

      If anyone wants to see images of these various types of clashed caps,
      just let me know and I'll post some.

      -- Mike Diamond