Re: Rolled in wire error found in a proof set

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28 6:54 AM
      For those with a greater interest in these errors...

      1. These rolled-in wire errors have appeared since at least 1970 in
      dimes, quarters, and halves and continue to the present day.

      2. These have been identified as springs by some, but there is no
      convincing evidence to support that conjecture.

      3. The wires are evidently composed of steel, as they're strongly
      attracted to a magnet.

      4. The typical color for these wires is black. I've only seen one that
      shows a lighter color.

      5. The shape is always sinuous.

      6. We know they're rolled into the strip rather than struck into the
      planchet because the clad layer has split, revealing the copper core.
      As the wire is rolled in, it splits the clad layer. Continued rolling
      further enlarges the gap. Struck-in wires would not be expected to
      split the clad layer. If any did, there would be no opportunity and no
      process that would allow the gap to widen.

      7. Length varies. The longest I've seen is over an inch long. The
      wire is evidently quite brittle, and usually breaks into shorter
      segments before landing on the strip.

      If any visitors to the rolling mill have any additional information on
      this subject, please weigh in.

      Jerry's coin is the first proof I've seen with a rolled-in wire.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "moores918"