another mystery ghost

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2002
      In posts #1180 - 1182 we discussed a "grease strike" dime that had an
      unexplained ghost image of the torch. I've placed in the "capped die
      strikes" album another unexplained ghost image. This is a capped die
      strike Jefferson nickel (from a 1983 roll) that features a distinct
      ghost of Monticello. I can't figure out why this ghost is here.
      This is not a high pressure strike -- there is no finning on the
      reverse. In fact, the reverse is entirely normal. This is not a
      thin planchet -- the coin is normal weight and thickness. I can't
      see how this ghost image could have bled through the coin from the
      reverse die. There is a typical raised ghost of Jefferson that bled
      through the thin metal of the cap from the obverse die.

      There are close to a dozen different causes for ghost images, and
      this fits none of them. I've seen many capped die strike nickels,
      but this is the only one I've encountered that has a ghost of
      Monticello.
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 24, 2006
        Well, Mike D.

        Perhaps you and I are the only ones that noticed this phenom?

        THIS Post WAS over FOUR Years ago!

        My, My.

        Shame on me, but again I've been very, very busy.

        Even on a normal, die Break type nickel, I notice these reverse
        clashed traits of Monticello. You just DO NOT see this on any sort of
        basis.

        We need to figure this one out (your capped strike).

        Jeff

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "dermestid"