1965 copper quarter -- genuine?

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 6:05 AM
      Here is a full weight, purportedly all copper 1965 quarter:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1336758192

      I have come across a number of full weight, all copper quarters. All
      were suspicious, for any of several reasons. Some had obliterated
      reeding; some had a suspiciously porous surface; one had a piece of
      copper foil overlaying the design. If this is truly a pure copper
      quarter, then it may be a struck counterfeit.

      Full weight, pure copper dimes and quarters are possible, however. I
      have one full weight, pure copper dime that appears genuine. In the
      bonding mill, if both clad layer strips run out before the copper
      strip, then the latter will be rolled to full coin thickness. Any
      coin punched out of it will be a full thickness, pure copper quarter.
    • dermestid
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3 11:36 AM
        The seller has responded to my inquiry. He reports a few small,
        suspicious bumps on the surface and notes that there is some porosity
        to the metal. Since normal missing clad layer coins do not show
        porosity, this is a warning sign. The small bumps may indicate false
        dies created by the spark erosion method.