super misaligned die error

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2 6:09 PM
      I've placed in the "misaligned and rotated dies" album enlarged
      images a the 2000-D cent with a massive 40% horizontal
      misalignnment. Several other errors are present as well:

      1. There is a 30 degree rotation of the obverse die relative to the
      reverse die. I suspect it is the obverse die that rotated, since
      it's also misaligned.

      2. The coin is a minor broadstrike. It is slightly wider than a
      normal cent along its long axis, which runs from 3:00 to 9:00
      (obverse clock position). The edge is that of an unstruck Type II
      planchet.

      3. The obverse was struck through a uniform, and uniformly thin,
      surface film, possibly oil. The only weakened design element is the
      D mintmark. The presence of the film is betrayed by the streaky
      finish of the surface. The film preserved the original streakiness
      of the blank planchet. The streaks on the unstruck part of the
      obverse face are continuous with the streaks on the struck part.
      Also there are some "shadows" around some of the design elements.
      This is also associated with a surface film.

      4. The impact of the hammer die was just adequate to bring up the
      full detail. The minimal expansion of the broadstrike is one clue.
      Either the striking pressure was low or the mimimum die distance was
      just about equal to the thickness of the planchet. I suspect the
      latter. With only 60% of the planchet exposed to the hammer die,
      this should have resulted in a proportional increase in striking
      pressure (holding force constant, force/area increases as area
      decreases). Yet the strike no stronger than normal.

      Quite a lot of stuff going on here.