Mike D. On Target Once Again.

  • Marc
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
      Here's a follow-up to a previous post (11471) about an eBay cent I
      bought for 9.99 that I thought was possibly double struck:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8370653446

      I had suggested that it may be d/s, but Mike cleaned my clock
      suggesting it was struck thru a blank planchet.

      The coin came today (slow snail mail) and Mike's correct. Coin is
      normal weight (3.1g) and has a very strongly struck obv. with high rim
      finning. The reverse is clearly struck thru another planchet, showing
      a raised memorial and incuse ghost of lincoln. Here's my pix:

      http://img314.imageshack.us/my.php?image=struckthru0106a2da.jpg

      http://img314.imageshack.us/my.php?image=struckthru0106b0be.jpg

      There is no brockage as I has suspected, and it's a nice in collar
      struck thru to add to my collection. Mike D...You the man!...
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006
        Thanks, Marc.

        I had initially thought it was struck through a rolled-thin or split-
        before-strike planchet, but that was when it seemed the reverse face
        was dominated by a raised ghost of the Memorial. It now seems that
        the raised ghost of the Memorial and the incuse ghost of Lincoln are
        of approximately equal strength. That, plus the strongly finned rim,
        suggests the bottom planchet was of normal thickness.

        A nice error and a nice bargain for you.

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Marc"