2002 Lincoln Cent

  • eswauger
    Message 1 of 1195 , Mar 1, 2002
      I received a coin in change the other day I have
      posted for your comments/observations. It has a "D"
      mintmark only visible with magnification below the 3rd and
      4th digits of the 2002 (vice 1st and 2nd normally).
      Additionally, the reverse is rotated 15 degrees CCW. It does
      not appear to be a grease filled die. I'd appreciate
      your observations. eswauger
      Message 1195 of 1195 , Nov 10, 2003
        It's not often that I address a post this old (8/24/2001). However,
        I did get to see once again the 1962 cent that I thought had four
        sets of raised, parallel profiles of Lincoln. My initial impression
        based on a brief examination at a coin show was wrong. It actually
        had four sets of INCUSE images. It was a shifted cap strike. The
        coin had been struck through a die cap that had experienced three
        previous shift-and-strike events.

        So now I'm back to two sets of expansion ripples as the maximum I've
        yet come across. I still don't have an explanation that I'm
        comfortable with, though.