reverse cap nickel?

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1195 , Mar 1 9:26 AM
      I've placed images of a probable reverse cap
      nickel in the "die caps" album. I won it last night at a
      bargain price. The obverse design stretches to the edge
      of this broadstruck nickel, so I can't see this
      being an ordinary capped die strike.<br><br>It's
      possible that this is a first-strike counterbrockage, but
      that would only be the case if the peripheral letters
      ran off the edge.<br><br>This is only the second or
      third reverse cap nickel that I've seen on eBay.
      Reverse cap cents are abundant but this error type is
      scarce in other denominations.<br><br>As is often the
      case, the grading service underdescribed this coin.
      Message 1195 of 1195 , Nov 10, 2003
        It's not often that I address a post this old (8/24/2001). However,
        I did get to see once again the 1962 cent that I thought had four
        sets of raised, parallel profiles of Lincoln. My initial impression
        based on a brief examination at a coin show was wrong. It actually
        had four sets of INCUSE images. It was a shifted cap strike. The
        coin had been struck through a die cap that had experienced three
        previous shift-and-strike events.

        So now I'm back to two sets of expansion ripples as the maximum I've
        yet come across. I still don't have an explanation that I'm
        comfortable with, though.