Weak strike "test"

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2005
      I've added a few more questions to the list. For those who think the
      presentation of these points is one-sided, I can only say that it was
      unavoidable. For me, the evidence leads to an inescapable conclusion.

      These are the specific points I've been pleading for my opponents to
      address. Perhaps when presented in this fashion they'll respond.
      Again, there's no rush and no obligation.

      I do look forward to answering the questions in Rich's test.

      1. Any device that requires adjustment can fall out of adjustment.

      a. agree
      b. disagree (please explain)

      2. Any moving part can break or have its movement interfered with.

      a. agree
      b. disagree (please explain)

      3. Clash marks are pretty common and are caused, in part, by the dies
      falling out of adjustment.

      a. agree
      b. disagree (please explain)

      4. Weak strikes exist in an unbroken continuum, varying from slight
      to profound.

      a. agree
      b. disagree (please state your objections)

      5. If you answer "a" in the preceding question: How does this
      continuum square with the "die trial" theory?

      a. these are all die adjustment strikes, just from different stages
      in the adjustment process
      b. only the weakest strikes are die adjustment strikes
      c. the continuum reflects various levels of press malfunction

      6. Weakly struck coins that are traditionally tagged with the
      label "die trial" are relatively abundant and appear constantly on
      eBay.

      a. I deny that this is the case.
      b. True, but only the weakest are die trials (please justify).

      7. Weak strikes are most common among the thinnest coins (dimes).

      a. I deny that such a trend exists.
      b. True, but this can be accommodated by the die trial theory (please
      explain)
      c. This is best explained by the narrow tolerances involved in the
      striking of such coins.

      8. Weak strikes are least commonly found among the thickest
      denominations.

      a. I deny that such a trend exists.
      b. True, but this can be accomodated by the die trial theory (please
      explain)
      c. This is best explained by the wide tolerances involved in the
      striking of such coins.

      9. You can find weak strikes in association with partial brockages,
      capped die strikes, indents, and strike-thrus.

      a. I deny that such errors exist
      b. These errors are the product of spontaneous equipment malfunction
      c. These can be accommodated by the die trial theory (please explain)

      10. The brockages found in association with weak strikes are
      invariably crisp and complete, indicating that they were produced by
      fully struck coins.

      a. I deny that this is the case.
      b. These errors are consistent with spontaneous equipment malfunction.
      c. These errors can be accommodated by the die trial theory (please
      explain).

      11. Weak strikes are sometimes found in association with off-center
      strikes and misaligned die errors.

      a. I deny that such errors exist.
      b. These errors are consistent with spontaneous equipment malfunction.
      c. These errors can be accommodated by the die trial theory (please
      explain).

      12. You can find coins with multiple weak strikes.

      a. I deny that such errors exist
      b. These errors are the product of spontaneous equipment malfunction.
      c. These can be accommodated by the die trial theory (please explain)

      13. You can find coins in which a moderately weak strike is succeeded
      by a very weak strike. Sometimes it can be established that the same
      die pair was involved.

      a. I deny that such errors exist
      b. These errors are the product of spontaneous equipment malfunction.
      c. These can be accommodated by the die trial theory (please explain)

      14. You can find coins in which a very weak strike is succeeded by a
      strong, off-center strike. Sometimes one can verify that the same
      die pair was involved.

      a. I deny that such errors exist.
      b. These errors are the product of spontaneous equipment malfunction.
      c. These can be accommodated by the die trial theory (please explain)

      15. You can find coins in which a strong strike is succeeded by a
      very weak off-center strike. Sometimes one can verify that the same
      die pair was involved.

      a. I deny that such errors exist.
      b. These errors are the product of spontaneous equipment malfunction.
      c. These can be accommodated by the die trial theory (please explain)

      16. Since errors form a minute percentage of total coin production,
      then it stands to reason that multi-error weak strikes form a minute
      percentage of total weak strikes. Since multi-error weak strikes
      exist in some numbers, it stands to reason that the total number
      of "normal" weak strikes in the marketplace is quite large.

      a. agree
      b. disagree (state your reasons)

      17. The factors that produce multi-error weak strikes are the same as
      those that produce simple, centered weak strikes.

      a. agree
      b. disagree (please explain)

      18. There are two proximate causes for weak strikes – abnormally low
      striking pressure and insufficient die approximation.

      a. agree
      b. disagree (please explain)

      19. There are a great number of potential ultimate causes that could
      account for a weak strike, e.g., die trial, broken circuit breaker,
      interference in adjacent striking chamber, broken cam, broken knuckle
      joint, etc.

      a. agree
      b. disagree (please explain)

      20. It is impossible to determine the proximate or ultimate cause of
      a simple, centered weak strike.

      a. agree
      b. disagree (please explain)