Re: Die Meltdown

  • bottleman71
    Message 1 of 1195 , Jul 9, 2001
      This error occurs on the die itself!<br><br>As
      pwrwgndrvr mentioned, he has bought three different coins
      from me with the WAVY PRESS effect afflicting them in
      different manners. It was after the first coin he bought
      from me, (the same as I placed the photo of for you
      all to see)that I realized that I had a couple other
      coins with a different pattern of wavy press on them,
      they were only partially waved. <br><br>When you look
      at the coin that is pictured(the first one I
      posted), the whole surface (obverse) is waved. AND with
      that it is difficult to ascertain what may have caused
      it. But when you look at the pictures of the Partial
      Wavy Press SC REVERSE, (I'll post them shortly in the
      same album as the first one I posted last night)you
      can see that there is a pattern of heavy WAVY PRESS
      on the left side of the reverse with a couple WAVY
      PRESS spots scattered randomly throughout the rest of
      the reverse (pic isnt the greated but you can get the
      jist). This same random mottled pattern is duplicated
      exactly on the half dozen or so of these error coins that
      I have.<br><br> So there is no way that there could
      have been an ACID ETCHING done to these coins that
      would create the same pattern on a few others from the
      same couple of fed rolls. (besides the fact that I
      would think acid strong enough to eat the metal would
      eat right thru wax) And if someone WAS that good, why
      would they go thru all that effort only to put the
      coins into a mint bag to be rolled at the fed?
      Message 1195 of 1195 , Nov 10, 2003
        It's not often that I address a post this old (8/24/2001). However,
        I did get to see once again the 1962 cent that I thought had four
        sets of raised, parallel profiles of Lincoln. My initial impression
        based on a brief examination at a coin show was wrong. It actually
        had four sets of INCUSE images. It was a shifted cap strike. The
        coin had been struck through a die cap that had experienced three
        previous shift-and-strike events.

        So now I'm back to two sets of expansion ripples as the maximum I've
        yet come across. I still don't have an explanation that I'm
        comfortable with, though.