$6500. bid for U.S. $1 Silver blank PCGS

  • byersnc
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 4, 2005
      http://tinyurl.com/7gt8d

      Heritage's bids are real, the bid is real at $6500. plus 15% but I
      don't know why it's so high?

      Mike Byers
      http://mikebyers.com
    • mdia1@aol.com

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 4, 2005
          Yes, but both T1 and T2 silver dollar blanks are readily available
          at around $1000. so I still can't figure out why it's at $6500.

          Mike Byers
          http://mikebyers.com

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, mdia1@a...
          wrote:

          > I have no idea why the price is way up there. I do have a
          question about
          > the diagnosis, though. The photo seems to show an upset "proto-
          rim". At least
          > the pattern of shadows is consistent with a "Type II" planchet.
          Of course,
          > this might simply be an artifact of the lighting and shadows cast
          by the
          > insert.
          >
          > In a message dated 11/4/05 10:44:13 A.M. Central Standard Time,
          > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/7gt8d
          >
          > Heritage's bids are real, the bid is real at $6500. plus 15% but
          > don't know why it's so high?
          >
          > Mike Byers
          > http://mikebyers.com

        • fred_weinberg
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2005
            I saw this yesterday also, and wondered what was going on.

            I guess that's why I sold my NGC Blank Dollar this morning
            for $1,275............

            Thank you Dallas

            Fred

            --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > Yes, but both T1 and T2 silver dollar blanks are readily available
            > at around $1000. so I still can't figure out why it's at $6500.
            >
            > Mike Byers
            > http://mikebyers.com
            >

            > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, mdia1@a...
            > wrote:
            > >

            > > I have no idea why the price is way up there. I do have a
            > question about
            > > the diagnosis, though. The photo seems to show an upset "proto-
            > rim". At least
            > > the pattern of shadows is consistent with a "Type II"
            planchet.
            > Of course,
            > > this might simply be an artifact of the lighting and shadows
            cast
            > by the
            > > insert.
            > >
            > > In a message dated 11/4/05 10:44:13 A.M. Central Standard Time,
            > > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/7gt8d
            > >
            > > Heritage's bids are real, the bid is real at $6500. plus 15%
            but
            > > don't know why it's so high?
            > >
            > > Mike Byers
            > > http://mikebyers.com

          • Rafael Delgado
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 5, 2005
              Is shill bidding possible on these non-internet auctions? I
              have no idea whatsoever and would like to know.
              Rafael

              --- byersnc <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              > Yes, but both T1 and T2 silver dollar blanks are readily
              > available
              > at around $1000. so I still can't figure out why it's at
              > $6500.
              >
              > Mike Byers
              > http://mikebyers.com
              >

              > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
              > mdia1@a...
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > I have no idea why the price is way up there. I do
              > have a
              > question about
              > > the diagnosis, though. The photo seems to show an
              > upset "proto-
              > rim". At least
              > > the pattern of shadows is consistent with a "Type II"
              > planchet.
              > Of course,
              > > this might simply be an artifact of the lighting and
              > shadows cast
              > by the
              > > insert.
              > >
              > > In a message dated 11/4/05 10:44:13 A.M. Central
              > Standard Time,
              > > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
              > >
              > > http://tinyurl.com/7gt8d
              > >
              > > Heritage's bids are real, the bid is real at $6500.
              > plus 15% but
              > > don't know why it's so high?
              > >
              > > Mike Byers
              > > http://mikebyers.com

              __________________________________
              http://farechase.yahoo.com
            • byersnc
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 5, 2005
                NO. Because there was no reserve, other times the reserve is met.
                Meaning that the coin MUST be bought. Shill bidding occurs when
                there is a reserve which is not met, which allows shill bidding to
                run it up, hoping someone bids the reserve. But when you see the
                auction that has no reserve or the reserve has been met, the coin is
                in play, and the auction is real.

                Mike Byers
                http://mikebyers.com

                --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael Delgado
                <my_errors@y...> wrote:

                > Is shill bidding possible on these non-internet auctions? I
                > have no idea whatsoever and would like to know.
                > Rafael
                >
                > --- byersnc <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                >
                > > Yes, but both T1 and T2 silver dollar blanks are readily
                > > available
                > > at around $1000. so I still can't figure out why it's at
                > > $6500.
                > >
                > > Mike Byers
                > > http://mikebyers.com
                > >

                > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                > > mdia1@a...
                > > wrote:
                > > >

                > > > I have no idea why the price is way up there. I do
                > > have a
                > > question about
                > > > the diagnosis, though. The photo seems to show an
                > > upset "proto-
                > > rim". At least
                > > > the pattern of shadows is consistent with a "Type II"
                > > planchet.
                > > Of course,
                > > > this might simply be an artifact of the lighting and
                > > shadows cast
                > > by the
                > > > insert.
                > > >
                > > > In a message dated 11/4/05 10:44:13 A.M. Central
                > > Standard Time,
                > > > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
                > > >
                > > > http://tinyurl.com/7gt8d
                > > >
                > > > Heritage's bids are real, the bid is real at $6500.
                > > plus 15% but
                > > > don't know why it's so high?
                > > >
                > > > Mike Byers
                > > > http://mikebyers.com
                > > >

                > __________________________________
                > http://farechase.yahoo.com

              • byersnc
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 5, 2005
                  This applies to the real auction houses. Ebay is different. In the
                  example that I gave in my previous post, on ebay it is possible to
                  have met the reserve, or have no reserve, but shill bidding still
                  occured. The seller continues to have someone run it up (past the
                  reserve or higher with no reserve) to see how much he can run up the
                  highest bidder. Then if he isn't happy before the end of the
                  auction with the price, the seller CAN CLOSE the auction and cancel
                  all of the bids. That should not be allowed and allows for games,
                  fraud and is illegal in my humble opinion.

                  Mike Byers
                  http://mikebyers.com

                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                  > NO. Because there was no reserve, other times the reserve is met.
                  > Meaning that the coin MUST be bought. Shill bidding occurs when
                  > there is a reserve which is not met, which allows shill bidding to
                  > run it up, hoping someone bids the reserve. But when you see the
                  > auction that has no reserve or the reserve has been met, the coin
                  is
                  > in play, and the auction is real.
                  >
                  > Mike Byers
                  > http://mikebyers.com
                  >

                  > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael
                  Delgado
                  > <my_errors@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Is shill bidding possible on these non-internet auctions? I
                  > > have no idea whatsoever and would like to know.
                  > > Rafael
                  > >
                  > > --- byersnc <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Yes, but both T1 and T2 silver dollar blanks are readily
                  > > > available
                  > > > at around $1000. so I still can't figure out why it's at
                  > > > $6500.
                  > > >
                  > > > Mike Byers
                  > > > http://mikebyers.com
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                  > > > mdia1@a...

                  > > > have a
                  > > > question about
                  > > > upset "proto-
                  > > > rim". At least
                  > > > planchet.
                  > > > Of course,
                  > > > shadows cast
                  > > > by the

                  > > > Standard Time,

                  > > > plus 15% but

                  > > __________________________________
                  > > Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click.
                  > > http://farechase.yahoo.com

                • Rafael Delgado
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 5, 2005
                    Thanks
                    Rafael

                    --- byersnc <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    > This applies to the real auction houses. Ebay is
                    > different. In the
                    > example that I gave in my previous post, on ebay it is
                    > possible to
                    > have met the reserve, or have no reserve, but shill
                    > bidding still
                    > occured. The seller continues to have someone run it up
                    > (past the
                    > reserve or higher with no reserve) to see how much he can
                    > run up the
                    > highest bidder. Then if he isn't happy before the end of
                    > the
                    > auction with the price, the seller CAN CLOSE the auction
                    > and cancel
                    > all of the bids. That should not be allowed and allows
                    > for games,
                    > fraud and is illegal in my humble opinion.
                    >
                    > Mike Byers
                    > http://mikebyers.com
                    >

                    > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                    > byersnc
                    > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > NO. Because there was no reserve, other times the
                    > reserve is met.
                    > > Meaning that the coin MUST be bought. Shill bidding
                    > occurs when
                    > > there is a reserve which is not met, which allows shill
                    > bidding to
                    > > run it up, hoping someone bids the reserve. But when
                    > you see the
                    > > auction that has no reserve or the reserve has been
                    > met, the coin
                    > is
                    > > in play, and the auction is real.
                    > >
                    > > Mike Byers
                    > > http://mikebyers.com
                    > >

                    > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,
                    > Rafael
                    > Delgado
                    > > <my_errors@y...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Is shill bidding possible on these non-internet
                    > auctions? I
                    > > > have no idea whatsoever and would like to know.
                    > > > Rafael

                    > readily
                    > it's at

                    > errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com,

                    > do
                    > an
                    > II"
                    > and

                    > $6500.

                    > > > __________________________________
                    > > > Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one
                    > click.
                    > > > http://farechase.yahoo.com

                    __________________________________
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • byersnc
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 6, 2005
                      Hi Lindy. Here are some answers:

                      ##### NOW, consignors may bid on their lots, BUT if they buy it
                      they must pay the regular buyers' fee, not the buy-back free pre-
                      arranged if their lot does not sell. This prevents them from running
                      it up because it hurts financially to pay the buyers fee to get your
                      own coin back. Also- afterwards in the prices realized, the unsold
                      lots either say not sold, there is no price, or they are not listed.

                      ##### Most of the time, the discretion exercised by the auction
                      houses in regards to the possibility of eliminating a
                      bid....happens BEFORE not afterwards. Those clauses that you are
                      referring to is a legal warning that is rarely enforced as long as
                      legitimate good funds are used and the bid was properly executed. If
                      the auction house finds out that the bidder was 5 years old using
                      his dad's computer from Bogota Columbia and wanted to wire funds
                      from a Swiss bank account in his dog's name then yes, his bid will
                      be voided for many obvious reasons.

                      ##### Yes, absolutely bid. The B and M Baltimore ANA mint error
                      section prices realized...was the rip of the century (for buying
                      errors in a public auction).

                      Mike Byers
                      http://mikebyers.com

                      <adkinstone@a...> wrote:

                      > Maybe you could clear up misunderstandings I may have Mike Byers.
                      >
                      > I've always thought the major coin auction houses allow the
                      > consigner to bid on their own lots. This was pointed out to me
                      years
                      > ago by a major error collector/dealer, that consigners DO bid up
                      > their own items.
                      >
                      > I also thought that the auction house can decide after the close
                      > whether they want to honor the winning bid on each and every lot.
                      > This is what I read when scrolling thru the major coin auction
                      house
                      > rules, when they piggy back their auctions at ebay.
                      >
                      > Due to the deposit to bid, the buyers charge, no credit cards, no
                      > simple returns, the winning big that may not be honored:
                      >
                      > I never bid, ever.
                      >
                      > I did consider signing up it bid when Bill Fivaz cosigned his
                      errors
                      > to a major auction house. But I did not.
                      >
                      > When I see what Fivaz's items closed for and what they immediately
                      > got marked up for re-sale, maybe I should participate inspite of
                      all
                      > the rules and extra fees?
                      >
                      > Lindy
                      >
                      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
                      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > This applies to the real auction houses. Ebay is different. In
                      the
                      > > example that I gave in my previous post, on ebay it is possible
                      > > have met the reserve, or have no reserve, but shill bidding
                      still
                      > > occured. The seller continues to have someone run it up (past
                      the
                      > > reserve or higher with no reserve) to see how much he can run up
                      > the
                      > > highest bidder. Then if he isn't happy before the end of the
                      > > auction with the price, the seller CAN CLOSE the auction and
                      > cancel
                      > > all of the bids. That should not be allowed and allows for
                      games,
                      > > fraud and is illegal in my humble opinion.
                      > >
                      > > Mike Byers
                      > > http://mikebyers.com
                      > >

                      > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
                      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > NO. Because there was no reserve, other times the reserve is
                      > met.
                      > > > Meaning that the coin MUST be bought. Shill bidding occurs
                      when
                      > > > there is a reserve which is not met, which allows shill
                      bidding
                      > > > run it up, hoping someone bids the reserve. But when you see
                      the
                      > > > auction that has no reserve or the reserve has been met, the
                      > coin
                      > > is
                      > > > in play, and the auction is real.
                      > > >
                      > > > Mike Byers
                      > > > http://mikebyers.com
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rafael
                      > > Delgado

                    • byersnc
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 6, 2005
                        Lindy- if a consignor buys it back live, he pays the buyers
                        commission- just like a customer who is trying to BUY the coin. If
                        the consignor sits on the sidelines and does not bid live but has a
                        reserve and it does NOT sell, he pays the pre-arranged buy back fee
                        agreed upon between the consignor and the auction house.

                        This does not of course, guarantee that there aren't ways to beat
                        the system and games to play. If a consignor has a reserve of
                        $100,000 he might have his friend bid it up to $95,000 and hope the
                        next bidder hits the reserve of $100,000. There is no way to prevent
                        this.

                        There also may be private arrangements between auction houses and
                        their biggest consignors which enables the consignor to pay a lesser
                        buyers fee if he bids live and buys it back.

                        Speaking of games etc... Heritage Auctions is 100% straight. An
                        example:

                        At the Pittsburgh ANA I had a table but finished early. I left my
                        Heritage bids with Leo for the error part of the sale on Saturday
                        because I was already back home in California. I spent well over
                        $100,000 and bought the Buffalo 5c struck off center on the cent,
                        the Indian Cent struck on the half dime blank uniface, the double
                        struck $20 Liberty ANACS and the Indian Cent struck on a 3 cent
                        blank NGC, as well as others. My bid for the Indian Cent struck on
                        the half dime blank was $25,000 and I got it for under $10,000.
                        Heritage is as straight as they come in their auctions and everyone
                        knows it.

                        Mike Byers
                        http://mikebyers.com

                        errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000"
                        > > <adkinstone@a...> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Maybe you could clear up misunderstandings I may have Mike
                        Byers.

                        > > > I've always thought the major coin auction houses allow the
                        > > > consigner to bid on their own lots. This was pointed out to me
                        > > years
                        > > > ago by a major error collector/dealer, that consigners DO bid
                        up
                        > > > their own items.
                        > > >
                        > > > I also thought that the auction house can decide after the
                        close
                        > > > whether they want to honor the winning bid on each and every
                        > lot.
                        > > > This is what I read when scrolling thru the major coin auction
                        > > house
                        > > > rules, when they piggy back their auctions at ebay.
                        > > >
                        > > > Due to the deposit to bid, the buyers charge, no credit cards,
                        > no
                        > > > simple returns, the winning big that may not be honored:
                        > > >
                        > > > I never bid, ever.
                        > > >
                        > > > I did consider signing up it bid when Bill Fivaz cosigned his
                        > > errors
                        > > > to a major auction house. But I did not.
                        > > >
                        > > > When I see what Fivaz's items closed for and what they
                        > immediately
                        > > > got marked up for re-sale, maybe I should participate inspite
                        of
                        > > all
                        > > > the rules and extra fees?
                        > > >
                        > > > Lindy
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc

                        In
                        > > the
                        > possible
                        > > still
                        > > the
                        > up
                        > > > the
                        > > > cancel
                        > > games,

                        > > > met.
                        > > when
                        > > bidding
                        > > the
                        > > > coin

                        Rafael

                        II"

                        > click.

                      • Rafael Delgado
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 6, 2005
                          I think this coin is inserted in some kind of metal holder.
                          I've seen these before but can't figure out why some cents
                          are inserted in such holders. The obverse is obcured by the
                          holder and there is no loop to suspend the coin. ????

                          Has anybody previously seen it or knows about this
                          "chastity belt".

                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8350843253&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

                          Rafael

                          __________________________________
                          http://farechase.yahoo.com
                        • seanqueue
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 7, 2005
                            Mike & Lindy,

                            I can't afford to compete on the type of stuff Mike deals in, but I'd
                            also like to endorse Heritage auctions. They don't always have error
                            coins in their auctions, but when they do they tend to sell for very
                            reasonable prices.

                            Last month I won a clipped 1894-O Morgan dollar in an ANACS
                            net-graded XF holder in a Heritage Internet-only auction for less than
                            $100 including the buyers fees. I've also picked up a clipped Carson
                            City Seated Dime and Standing Liberty Quarter from Heritage, and I was
                            the underbidder on a clipped York commemmorative.

                            The one caution I'd give is that their 'post-auction bargains' are
                            often nothing of the sort. I've found those are mainly coins that did
                            not reach reserve during bidding, and the 'bargain' price is the old
                            reserve price plus the buyers fee.

                            Sean Reynolds