Re: slabs for partial collars

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2005
      That would be tough to design. A coin must be secured by an insert and
      the insert will, of necessity, hug the coin's edge. Even a completely
      transparent insert will be too thick to show much detail. Also,
      there's too much distance between the coin's edge and the slab edge.
      And the slab's edge has a seam which distorts images.

      There are many errors besides partial collars which are partly or
      completely obscured by the slab. Forget about seeing any details of an
      edge strike. Forget about confirming the presence of a copper core on
      a half dollar (1965 - 1969) allegedly struck on dime or quarter stock.

      Not only do slabs prevent examination of the edge but they:

      1. Often obscure the rim.
      2. Prevent detailed examination under a high power microscope
      3. Prevent you from weighing the coin
      4. Prevent you from measuring its diameter
      5. Prevent you from testing its "ring"
      6. Prevent you from testing its density (specific gravity)
      7. Prevent you from conducting metallurgical tests.

      For certain errors, the collector just has to cross his/her fingers and
      hope that the grading service got it right. If you crack it out and
      find out that they got it wrong, you're stuck. That's why I prefer my
      errors raw and crack out most of my slabbed errors.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron"