Re: Goofy slab label

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
      I meant to say "obverse and reverse die".

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, mdia1@a... wrote:
      >Just like I don't interpret off-center strikes as "massive,
      > synchronized misalignments of the obverse and hammer die". :)
      >
      > Mike Diamond

    • Rob Risi
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
        I GUESS ITS AN ANACS "THING"....I HAVE THE SAME IDENTICAL COIN THAT I BOUGHT ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO FOR $36....MUCH CHEAPER....SAME COIN...ABOUT 70% O/C.
        MAYBE ITS FROM THE OLD ANACS DAYS???.....DIDN'T UNDERSTAND IT EITHER....AS I MAY AND SHOULD CRACK IT OUT.......
        ROB

        Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:
        This one is laughable in the extreme:

        http://tinyurl.com/aq5u2

        It's just an off-center strike.  Why it was also designated a brockage
        defies understanding.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi
          <rjrisi@y...> wrote:

          > I GUESS ITS AN ANACS "THING"

          It's best to apply a skeptical attitude to all slabbed errors,
          regardless of company. Many times a mistake is readily apparent, as
          with the off-center quarter recently under discussion. Other times,
          it requires closer scrutiny and a little thought. And sometimes, the
          necessary diagnostics are completely obscured by the slab.

          Robert, you frequently e-mail me to verify the diagnosis printed on a
          slab label. You are aware how frequently the description is wrong,
          incomplete, inadequate, or nonspecific. I think I've saved you a bit
          of money along the way.

          When it doubt, it pays to e-mail one or more disinterested experts to
          get a second, third, or fourth opinion. Of course, there's a small
          risk that this will alert the individual to the presence of a
          bargain. But it's often a risk worth taking. I always provide as
          complete a diagnosis as possible, even it I reduce my own chances of
          winning a coin I've already spotted.