Re: Goofy slab label

  • byersnc
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2005
      2 possibilities and to be quite honest, I'm surprised that you
      didn't explore either one, Mike D. since normally you analyze
      everything in extreme detail!!

      Option #1 ---------------------------->>>>>

      A simple typo, it happens with all of the grading
      services. Go to coinuniverse and there are several threads with
      photos of typos. One of my favorite is a MORGAN DOLLAR BUT THE SLAB
      SAYS TRADE DOLLAR PCGS. Another is a 2005 OREGON 5C TAG SAYS BOOKER
      T WASH 25C PCGS. NGC and ICG has done it too, but this post would
      be too long to list them all.

      Option #2 ---------------------------->>>>>

      It's a brockage!!!!!!! Photo is the reverse/negative (it
      happens every once in a while) when a brockage side shows up as it
      was normally struck.......instead of being incuse.

      Mike Byers
      http://mikebyers.com

    • mdia1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
        In a message dated 11/3/05 10:25:52 P.M. Central Standard Time, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
        2 possibilities and to be quite honest, I'm surprised that you
        didn't explore either one, Mike D. since normally you analyze
        everything in extreme detail!!

        Option #1 ---------------------------->>>>>

        A simple typo, it happens with all of the grading
        services.
            Granted.

        Option #2 ---------------------------->>>>>

        It's a brockage!!!!!!!  Photo is the reverse/negative (it
        happens every once in a while) when a brockage side shows up as it
        was normally struck.......instead of being incuse.
            Seems unlikely, since the reverse is in its proper position relative to the obverse.  If it WAS a brockage, then it would have to be a flipover brockage.  For a flipover brockage to align perfectly with the obverse design strains credulity.  And then for the photo to be inadvertently flipped, well, that's just not within the realm of possibility.  Also, the reverse design shows stretching and "slide", something not typically associated with brockages.

            While there is great value in entertaining alternative hypotheses, I do have my limits.  Just like I don't interpret off-center strikes as "massive, synchronized misalignments of the obverse and hammer die". :)

        Mike Diamond

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
          I meant to say "obverse and reverse die".

          --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, mdia1@a... wrote:
          >Just like I don't interpret off-center strikes as "massive,
          > synchronized misalignments of the obverse and hammer die". :)
          >
          > Mike Diamond

        • Rob Risi

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2005
              --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi
              <rjrisi@y...> wrote:

              > I GUESS ITS AN ANACS "THING"

              It's best to apply a skeptical attitude to all slabbed errors,
              regardless of company. Many times a mistake is readily apparent, as
              with the off-center quarter recently under discussion. Other times,
              it requires closer scrutiny and a little thought. And sometimes, the
              necessary diagnostics are completely obscured by the slab.

              Robert, you frequently e-mail me to verify the diagnosis printed on a
              slab label. You are aware how frequently the description is wrong,
              incomplete, inadequate, or nonspecific. I think I've saved you a bit
              of money along the way.

              When it doubt, it pays to e-mail one or more disinterested experts to
              get a second, third, or fourth opinion. Of course, there's a small
              risk that this will alert the individual to the presence of a
              bargain. But it's often a risk worth taking. I always provide as
              complete a diagnosis as possible, even it I reduce my own chances of
              winning a coin I've already spotted.