Re: Proof Errors

  • mdia1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
      Thanks for these details, Lindy.  I hadn't before heard that the steel shot treatment was applied to non-proof planchets.  Did you happen to note the surface texture of the planchets?  Did they also have a faintly pocked or pebbly appearance?

      In a message dated 11/2/05 5:57:41 A.M. Central Standard Time, adkinstone@... writes:
      Actually it's a huge vat. I'd say 3' by 3' , stainless steel and
      round.

      The burnish beads are swirled in the huge vat that also contains the
      planchets. The Denver Mint had one in use for the Commemorative
      program.

      It was very cool to watch the swirling action.

      When new, the beads have a distinctly fatter center. When worn they
      no longer appear new and they are smaller.

      That day, Denver Mint was burinishing silver planchets for their unc
      commemoratives. As you know they usually do not strike proofs.

      Lindy