Re: Proof Errors

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
      The texture is attributed to the steel pellets that proof planchets
      are said to be tumbled among.

    • mdia1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
        Thanks for these details, Lindy.  I hadn't before heard that the steel shot treatment was applied to non-proof planchets.  Did you happen to note the surface texture of the planchets?  Did they also have a faintly pocked or pebbly appearance?

        In a message dated 11/2/05 5:57:41 A.M. Central Standard Time, adkinstone@... writes:
        Actually it's a huge vat. I'd say 3' by 3' , stainless steel and
        round.

        The burnish beads are swirled in the huge vat that also contains the
        planchets. The Denver Mint had one in use for the Commemorative
        program.

        It was very cool to watch the swirling action.

        When new, the beads have a distinctly fatter center. When worn they
        no longer appear new and they are smaller.

        That day, Denver Mint was burinishing silver planchets for their unc
        commemoratives. As you know they usually do not strike proofs.

        Lindy