Re: Proof Errors

  • byersnc
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
      Page 16 of my 1975 catalog shows the proof 3 piece mated Kennedy set
      with around half of the blank part showing...

      http://mikebyers.com/1975catalog.html

      Mike Byers
      http://mikebyers.com

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg

    • mdia1@aol.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
          The texture is attributed to the steel pellets that proof planchets
          are said to be tumbled among.

        • mdia1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
            Thanks for these details, Lindy.  I hadn't before heard that the steel shot treatment was applied to non-proof planchets.  Did you happen to note the surface texture of the planchets?  Did they also have a faintly pocked or pebbly appearance?

            In a message dated 11/2/05 5:57:41 A.M. Central Standard Time, adkinstone@... writes:
            Actually it's a huge vat. I'd say 3' by 3' , stainless steel and
            round.

            The burnish beads are swirled in the huge vat that also contains the
            planchets. The Denver Mint had one in use for the Commemorative
            program.

            It was very cool to watch the swirling action.

            When new, the beads have a distinctly fatter center. When worn they
            no longer appear new and they are smaller.

            That day, Denver Mint was burinishing silver planchets for their unc
            commemoratives. As you know they usually do not strike proofs.

            Lindy