Proof Errors

  • fred_weinberg
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
      Mike, although the scans may not show it, the surface of the
      blank on ALL Proof errors that I've seen and handled does show
      the "pebbly" surface......those two coins Mike just listed
      also have it, but you can't see it in the scans......

      I'll have to try to get a scan of the 60% Off-Center PROOF
      1968-S Kennedy that I sold a few years ago, and see if the
      surfaces show up better........

      Fred

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, mdia1@a...
      wrote:

      > Thanks. These two errors certainly shows that a roughened,
      pitted, or
      > pebbled texture is NOT what you'd expect of a proof planchet.
      These coins show a
      > relatively smooth surface free of tumbling marks. And that's what
      I would
      > expect of a proof planchet.
      >
      > This, of course, raises the question of what is creating the
      variation in
      > surface texture seen in business strike planchets. This
      variation exists in a
      > single year, especially in nickels.
      >
      > In a message dated 11/1/05 4:20:07 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      > no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:
      >
      > Here are 2 off center proof errors that I own (also double
      > struck). Only a small part of the blank area shows:
      >

      > http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/2520277m.jpg
      > http://www.byersnc.com/inventory/454576m.jpg
      >

      > Mike Byers
      > http://mikebyers.com

    • byersnc
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
        Page 16 of my 1975 catalog shows the proof 3 piece mated Kennedy set
        with around half of the blank part showing...

        http://mikebyers.com/1975catalog.html

        Mike Byers
        http://mikebyers.com

        --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg

      • mdia1@aol.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2005
            The texture is attributed to the steel pellets that proof planchets
            are said to be tumbled among.

          • mdia1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2005
              Thanks for these details, Lindy.  I hadn't before heard that the steel shot treatment was applied to non-proof planchets.  Did you happen to note the surface texture of the planchets?  Did they also have a faintly pocked or pebbly appearance?

              In a message dated 11/2/05 5:57:41 A.M. Central Standard Time, adkinstone@... writes:
              Actually it's a huge vat. I'd say 3' by 3' , stainless steel and
              round.

              The burnish beads are swirled in the huge vat that also contains the
              planchets. The Denver Mint had one in use for the Commemorative
              program.

              It was very cool to watch the swirling action.

              When new, the beads have a distinctly fatter center. When worn they
              no longer appear new and they are smaller.

              That day, Denver Mint was burinishing silver planchets for their unc
              commemoratives. As you know they usually do not strike proofs.

              Lindy