7080Re: Why are mint errors interesting?

  • Frank Vedel
    Jan 1, 2005
      Hi Mike,

      I totally disagree with you in this subject, and I have no intention
      to conclude my study.
      Error coin collecting is a very personal matter, and every error
      collector has his/her own reason(s) to collect.
      It is true that I have been interested in this subject for several
      years. I started collecting errors in 1972, and I have been asked
      this question from non-error collectors over and over again.
      During the last 6-8 years I have compiled/read/heard about 150
      DIFFERENT reasons to collect numismatic errors.
      This string also gave a very interesting feedback, so I will go on
      in the future, too.
      I think my polls dealing with this subject are useful. 2708 votes
      have been placed on 75 different statements until now. I have also 7
      other error coin related polls, which combined give an interesting
      perspective on our hobby.
      The results of my first polls were published in Mint Error News, vol
      2, and in Mint Error News, vol 3, '85 Reasons To Collect Error
      Coins' was published.
      Some years ago the survey was kindly mentioned in a small artictle
      in ETCM.
      The survey has resulted in many personal e-mail letters across the
      ocean, and I have also met new fellow-collectors in this way. I have
      actually met 2 of them in person.

      Kind regards,

      Frank aka adanisherrorcollector

      PS! If any members are interested in reading the whole survey -
      please drop me a line at personal e-mail. Please use the headline:

      <mdia1@a...> wrote:
      > I gave you my answer about five years ago, I think. You've been
      > asking this question and collecting the answers for at least this
      > long, so I figure that by now you've seen just about every
      > rationale.
      > Perhaps it's time to conclude your study, compile the data,
      > it, and then move on to something more productive. After all, the
      > error field presents limitless possibilities for research.
      > And a Happy New Year to you too, Frank.
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Vedel"
      > <frankv@j...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi again,
      > >
      > > Well, maybe mint errors aren't interesting after all.
      > >
      > > Please write a few lines about your reason(s) to collect.
      > >
      > > Happy New Year,
      > >
      > > Frank aka adanisherrorcollector
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic