6852Re: the off-center, uniface, clipped 5c on 25c stock ...

  • byersnc
    Dec 6, 2004
      Lindy- several of them only had partial reeding. Not like partial
      collars but areas with no reeding at all, yet they were not
      broadstruck. Some zinc showed on the edge where there was no
      reeding, and had visible striations from being punched. Really
      strange....

      Mike Byers
      http://mikebyers.com

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Lindy- The weight was odd (2.9 grams) but they were a bit thicker
      > than "cent stock". The zinc showed from the punch, not the
      strike.
      > One of the most unusual discoveries that I have ever handled...
      >
      > Mike Byers
      > http://mikebyers.com

      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000"
      > <adkinstone@a...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Actually 2.9 grams wouldn't make sense since copper plated zincs
      > are
      > > 2.5 grams. I was thinking 3.1 grams standard. Silly me.
      > >
      > > So these are 2.9 grams and yet they are smaller diameter than a
      > cent
      > > which weighs 2.5 grams.
      > >
      > > The clad 5c wspe's and off center straight clip 5c on 25c wspe I
      > > could easily envision, but this 10c on 1c copper plated 1c zinc
      > stock
      > > is one I need to think about some more.
      > >
      > > Lindy
      > >
      > > --- In
      errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000"
      > > <adkinstone@a...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Oh, I didn't know the six had exposed zinc in the reeding. Do
      you
      > > > think the exposed zinc was before strike or sheared away due
      > being
      > > > struck in a reeded collar?
      > > >
      > > > I have to think this one out some more.
      > > >
      > > > So you're saying this is a copper plated zinc planchet that
      got
      > into
      > > > the dime punches and thus was then cut down to 10c diameter?
      That
      > > > would seem work with the 2.9 grams. Am I on the right track?
      > > >
      > > > Lindy
      > > >
      > > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc

      > each.
      > stock".