6847Re: the off-center, uniface, clipped 5c on 25c stock ...

  • byersnc
    Dec 6, 2004
      Lindy- my records indicate that they weighed appx. 2.9 grams each.
      They were a slight bit thicker than the thickness of "cent stock".
      The edges were cut down and zinc was showing. They were truely
      spectacular mint errors to say the least. They were fully struck,
      had prestine surfaces, with razor edges and a "presentation" look to
      them.

      Mike Byers
      http://mikebyers.com

      <adkinstone@a...> wrote:

      > Yes another great piece!
      >
      > I do not understand it completely though. All the copper plated
      zinc
      > planchets are made outside the mint. They're punched from zinc
      stock
      > and then copper plated. The 5c thru 50c planchets are punched from
      > coin thickness coil in the Mint, not privately. I can see the
      > possibility its a Dime on a copper plated zinc foreign blank. Both
      of
      > my late 1990's 1c's on smaller foreign planchets are also copper
      > plated zinc.
      >
      > I'm assuming the company (Ball?) that makes USA1c planchets for
      the
      > Mint also makes larger copper plated zinc planchets for foreign
      Mints.
      > I'm further assuming this private company does not produce 10c
      > planchets for USA. If these assumptions are so, I don't understand
      why
      > it's a W.S.P.E. for certain. Either way: WSPE or foreign planchet,
      > it's a beautiful error 10c. Even Pattern-Like in it's appearence.
      If

      errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "mrlindy2000"
      > > <adkinstone@a...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Optimistically I hope the 87P 5c on 25c stock are more
      plentiful
      > > than
      > > > just 5 examples. It's correct diameter and just 15% light by
      > > weight. I
      > > > could imagine the majority of these 5c/25c wspe's made it into
      > > > circulation. Its a very interesting error, easily the "king"
      of
      > > wrong
      > > > stock planchet errors.
      > > >
      > > > Lindy