6843Dimes struck on "cent stock"

    Dec 6, 2004
      Technically speaking, these dimes are not struck on cent stock. They
      are dimes of cent composition, struck on cut-down or resized cent
      planchets.

      There is no such thing as copper-plated zinc cent stock. The
      term "stock" refers to strip, and the only strip involved in the
      production of post-1982 cents consists of pure zinc. The cent blanks
      are punched out of pure zinc and are plated after upsetting is
      completed.

      The fact that these are cut-down cent planchets is clearly shown by
      the fact that the zinc core is exposed on the edge of these coins. I
      don't know whether the edges of these cent planchets were removed
      accidentally or intentionally. In either case, they are
      unprecedented errors.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, byersnc
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Lindy- another king is the dime on cent stock. I discovered 6 of
      > these in 1999. I sold 2 to Fred, 1 to Rich, 2 to customers and kept
      > one for my personal private collection.
      >
      > http://byersnc.com/inventory/857145e.jpg
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic