6126Re: 2002-D louisiana quarter full lamination flaw

    Sep 1, 2004
      Try posting a picture. That would help enormously.

      From your description it sounds like the coin is bogus. I suspect
      that it is an "acid job", with the outer clad layers dissolved with
      an acid or other caustic chemical. The dime-sized spot that retains
      the clad layer may be where it was suspended in the solution.

      If it is an acid job, the design should be uniformly fuzzy, the
      reeding should be "scalloped", and the coin's diameter should be
      smaller than normal.

      A genuine quarter struck on a planchet missing all of one and most of
      the other clad layer should exhibit the characteristics of a normal
      weak strike -- missing details in many areas (especially high relief
      elements) but crisp outlines of those design element that did strike
      up. Areas where the design did not strike up well should show the
      tumbling marks of an unstruck planchet. It should weigh
      approximately 3.67 grams (yours is too light).

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "alanloris"
      <alanloris@y...> wrote:
      > I HAVE A LOUISIANA QUARTER FULL LAMINATION FLAW ON BOTH SIDES A
      > LITTLE BET OF SILVER ON THE REV. ABOUT THE SIZE OF A DIME. ON THE
      > FRONT OF THE COIN IS A FULL LAMINATION FLAW NO SILVER AT ALL ,THE
      > COIN IS VERY THIN AS THIN AS A DIME. IF I CHECKED IT RIGHT IT IS
      > 38,000 THICKNESS THE WEIGHT 3GRAMS I USED A STAMP SCALE TO WEIGH
      THE
      > COIN I USED A DIAL CALIPER TOOL TO CHECK THE THICKNESS IF THIS IS A
      > TRUE ERROR COIN COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IT MITE BE WORTH AND
      > SHOULD I SEND IT IN TO HAVE IT GRADED BY CONECO I AM A
      MEMBER.
      > THANK YOU ALAN J. LORIS
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic