28299Re: PCGS label not quite right??

  • dermestid
    Jun 2, 2014
      This appears to be a mid-stage brockage generated by a hammer (reverse) die cap.  Equivalent American errors usually sell for  $20 - $30.  The PCGS label is not wrong, just hopelessly non-specific.  They should re-holder it for you since the description is so poor.

      In a message dated 6/2/2014 12:10:10 A.M. Central Daylight Time, errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com writes:

      I picked this coin up recently at the Bell auction, at Coin Expo in Toronto. I think the PCGS label does not best describe this error - I picked it up for a song (CAN $60)

      One Cent Mint Error

      I would describe this coin as "struck through cap, brockage" or "struck through reverse cap, mirror brockage"

      Even in the auction photos, you can see this is a late stage brockage, with the enlarged elements of the Queen in mirror image. Lastly, the coin is not CU - all Canadian coins prior to 1997 are bronze. Your thoughts?? Do I have a case to have this coin re-holdered by PCGS??

      Roger