28287Re: Couple of mystery US error cents

  • dermestid
    May 25, 2014
      The 1963 cent was altered outside the Mint, either by acid or by buffing.  The soft blurring of the design is not something you'd see on both faces of a coin generated by a coining press.

      In a message dated 5/25/2014 9:02:23 P.M. Central Daylight Time, errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com writes:

      I have placed some photos in the "unsolved mysteries" photo album. First up is a 1963 (with undecipherable mint mark) cent. My gut instinct tells me this is post mint damage, possibly by acid, but the distortion on the reverse is unlike any acid attack I have ever seen... so, my questions are:

      1. Is this thing a legit striking error or post mint damage??

      2. Can you explain your answer to question #1, so I can learn from this??

      Roger