27703Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] RE: Auction Pulled from ebay !

  • theocean1ataol
    Jan 7
      Even though I never saw the auction that was pulled, the idea that anyone "collects" coins that have been sandwiched between other coins is a bunch of whooy.

      To claim folks collect such trash for educational reasons is equally lame.

      If the seller actually stated what it really was, then I commend them, but such a coin would have only been worth it's silver value anyway.

      More often the sellers claim ignorance, ("I found this in my Dad's collection, but I don't know coins") and they are purchased by novice collectors who really don't know coins. It's not a great introduction to the hobby, and when they learn they've been duped, they probably quit collecting all together.

      I'm glad Ebay is finally cracking down on it.

      Bill

      In a message dated 1/7/2014 8:12:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, sherwood.park.pennies@... writes:

      On the other hand, it makes me sad to think that a novice collector bought this, assuming it was a legitimate error....

      http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1989-Canada-1-cent-ERROR-Brass-/111238938983

      Your coin fell under a blanket eBay policy, as previously mentioned - maybe something in the title or description automatically flagged it. That said, I suspect for every legitimate coin yanked off eBay, at least 20 more are sold with the intent to deceive...

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic