2766Re: Irregular Chain Strikes

    Apr 1, 2003
      While the 1999 cent is more indent than notch, it does seem to show a
      tongue of metal protruding from the midpoint of a larger notch. The
      2001-D cent simply appears to be an protruding, tongue-like indent.
      I don't see any notch formation either side of the protruding
      tongue. Still, it could occupy the end of a progression from notch
      to notch-and-indent to indent.

      The case for notched chain strikes seems to be quite firmly supported
      by the physical evidence, which shows an unbroken progression from
      straight chain strike to notch to indent.

      Thanks for drawing our attention to these instructive specimens.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, seanqueue
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Error Scope readers will recognize the subject error type as the
      > subject of two articles by Mike D. Last week I found the following
      > two auctions for off-center cents with planchet indents at 1:00
      which
      > fit nicely into the progression Mike established for how this error
      > occurs:
      >
      > 1999 O/C cent with irregular obverse indent at 1:00
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=3014661091&category=524

      > 2001-D O/C cent with irregular reverse indent:
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=3015382185&category=524

      > These two examples would appear to back up Mike's theory that the
      odd
      > clip-like planchet formations at K-1 seen on many off-center 1998-
      2001
      > cents are in fact chain strikes.
      >

      > Sean Reynolds
      > CONECA #N2090