27106Re: Can anyone help me identify this odd looking nickel?

  • fred_weinberg
    Jun 26, 2013
      I think you're describing a private piece, minted
      to commemorate the Jeff. Nickel, or some other purpose.....

      I recall seeing these, similar to your descripton, about
      5-6-7 years ago, maybe longer........they are private issues.

      Fred

      > I haven't seen this design before. I don't think there's any possibility that it's a mint product, though. The ugly portrait of Jefferson would certainly never be acceptable to Mint officials.
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "jdr_mcb" <jdr_mcb@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I found this coin while sorting through a bulk foriegn coin lot I recently purchased in an online auction. It appears to be a 1938 U.S. Nickel with a different portrait of Thomas Jefferson facing left on the obverse and the reverse is similar to the original Monticello design , except for a few subtle changes including what appears to be smoke coming from the chimney and an outline of the state of Virginia added below the steps..
      > > It IS NOT stamped as a "COPY" on either side, it has a smooth plain edge without lettering and it appears to be in medal alignment instead of coin alignment. I know 1938 was a transitional year for the design but I have yet to find anything as to the origin of this odd looking nickel!!! Any input, thoughts, or ideas would be greatly appreciated by this novice newbie!!!

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic