27098Dime stock quarters from Philadelphia now number four

    Jun 18, 2013
      Up until recently it had seemed that dime stock quarters (and wrong stock errors in general) were almost exclusively derived from the Denver Mint. I was aware of only a 1979(P) quarter on dime stock and the famous 1987-P nickel on quarter stock.

      In the last few weeks, three more quarters weighing 4.4 grams have made their appearance with the following dates: 1973, 1982-P, and 1989-P. The relevant eBay auctions are listed below in the same chronological order:

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/400474183452

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/200933060042

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/151060469347

      I purchased the latter two. The 1973 quarter was withdrawn because it was mislabeled.

      While 4.4 grams is a bit higher than the expected weight of 4.2 grams for a Cu-Ni clad dime stock quarter, it does fall within the range of variation for 1970-D dime stock quarters.

      An unexplained aspect of wrong stock errors with relatively large sample sizes is the unusual variability in weight, variability that is greater than standard clad issues.