26537Re: [Error Coin Information Exchange] Use of the terms "scrap" and "fragment"

  • oldsubguru
    Mar 1, 2013
      The words "scrap" and "fragment" without some sort of modifier when describing coins struck on such seem ambiguous at best. We do have the tool "error-ref.com" that can be used as a reference point to eliminate that ambiguity. All we need to do is have a consensus of correct terminology and I'll include it in the site.

      BJ

      In a message dated 3/1/2013 9:20:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, snumismatics@... writes:

      I have never liked the way "scrap" or "fragments" are used in the error hobby myself, and I really think the terms should be reserved for coins struck on irregularly shaped, random pieces of planchet material. A coin with a 60% curved clip seems like it should be described as a "60% curved clip", not as a coin struck on scrap or fragment. It makes sense to use "scrap" for coins struck on web scrap, but for the sake of clarity, it's probably best just to use the terms for the irregular pieces of planchet material in my view.

      Jon
      On Feb 28, 2013, at 11:14 AM, Mike Diamond <mdia1@...> wrote:

      As I've stated before on this message board, in Coin World, and in other venues, indiscrimate use of the words "scap" and "fragment" simply confuses the discerning collector. Both terms have been used for:

      coins struck on planchets with multiple large clips
      large straight clips
      large ragged clips
      large elliptical clips
      pieces of "coin shrapnel" ("breakaway fragments)
      strike clips of various kinds
      detached lamination flakes (before and after strike)
      broken coins and planchets
      struck chopped webbing
      irregular bits of metal that enter the striking chamber as such

      It's always best to be as specific as possible when describing errors. That's why I restrict my use of the terms "scrap" and "fragment" to the last category.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg wrote:

      > I use the term informally (but rarely!)for a 75% Curved Clip.
      >
      > I use the word 'scrap' for 51% + on a clip.
      >
      > Fred

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic