2448Re: 3 Danish puzzle error coins. Help needed!

  • Mike Diamond <mdia1@aol.com>
    Jan 8, 2003
      One other observation. The brockages feature the same letters and
      one set seems to be more expanded than the other. If these are
      sequential strikes (as all evidence seems to indicate), then it would
      indicate that the off-center cent remained stuck to the die face for
      several strikes, creating progressively more distorted aligned
      brockages.

      > > Question 2. The twin errors are partial brockage ND 2 øres. I am
      > not
      > > quite sure how this happened. The rim is complete, but the
      partial
      > > brockage is correctly positioned. How could this happen without
      it
      > > became a full mirror brockage? If a fragment caused this then I
      > > would have thought that the rim would have been flattened.
      > >
      > > Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > I assume that the incuse, mirror-image letters are aligned with the
      > corresponding raised letters on the opposite face. If so, then
      these
      > are "aligned" brockages. They occur when a coin is struck off-
      center
      > and sticks to the hammer die. It is then struck into the next
      > planchet that enters the striking chamber.
      >
      > Aligned brockages can also occur when an elliptical clip planchet
      > enters the striking chamber and nestles against the side of the
      > collar when it is struck. If the elliptical coin sticks to the
      > hammer die and is struck into the next planchet, then you'll get an
      > aligned brockage.
      >
      > An aligned brockage also results when an elliptical strike clip
      > sticks to the hammer die and is struck into the next planchet.
      >
      > Your two coins seem to fall into the first category, since it
      appears
      > that there is an "overflow" of metal over the top of the collar in
      > each case. This likely wouldn't occur in the two other scenarios.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic