24474Re: copper wash vs missing partial clad

    Aug 1, 2011
      A partial missing clad error will not necessarily be underweight. Part of the clad layer may be missing because a gap opened up in one of the clad strips during rolling. In that case, the coin metal strip will be rolled to full thickness, even in those areas where the gap exists.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Rob Risi <rjrisi@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone....just got a few coins in with sellers calling missing partial clad layers or Laminations....My question are is a coin has a partial missing cladding from 20-40% or so like the 100% ones, they would in turn be slightly less in weight, correct?  For example i just got in a 2010 dime with a rev copper showing, and seller states copper wash or missing clad....the amount of copper showing is about 35-40% but the coin weighs correct at 2.24g...So is this a copper wash? i think copper wash coins retain their exact weights.
      > however this dime i got in appears to have parts of the clad layer off as i can see a not so even surface from the clad and the exposed copper??
      > any thought on identifying partial missing clad layers and partial copper washed coins?
      >
      >    ~ROB RISI~

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic