24279Re: Odd Clip/Genuine

    Jun 10, 2011
      The key to figuring out what kind of clip(s) I'm dealing with will be edge texture and asymmetry in core exposure. If I see a nice cut-and-tear texture along the outer edge two angled ends that will support these being the ends of an elliptical clip. Any odd, irregular texture will support some other scenario.

      If the visible core is closer to one face, that will also support an interrupted elliptical clip as the explanation for the two angled ends. If the asymmetry along the normal, reeded edge is the same as that seen on the two angled ends, that will add further support to the idea of an interrupted elliptical clip. If the asymmetry along the edge of the curved clip is in the opposite direction, that will provide the final, necessary piece of evidence.

      Of course, the coin could be so thin from the extra pressure that none of this will be visible.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Yes, as Mike mentiioned, the coin is a genuine clip,
      > and I'm looking forward to your analysis of it.
      >
      > The seller is a relative of the owner, and as you
      > said, he knows pretty much what's a genuine error
      > and what's damage......
      >
      > I've purchased tens of thousands of errors from
      > him in the past 10 years or so, but now, due to
      > the new presses, he gets substantially less material
      > that in the past, and he has the relative put the
      > material up on Ebay.
      >
      > He's a great guy, and he'll be in Chicago during
      > the ANA. A few of his 'put aside' errors will be
      > in the Heritage Pre-ANA auction - a couple of really
      > nice items that he wanted to auction......
      > >
      > > The seller is merely a conduit for coins sent by her consigner. While some have been inaccurately described, I've never encountered a fake.
      > >
      > > I'm reasonably confident this is genuine because the reverse face shows finning of the rim. This is a common side-effect of large clips, as all the force of the strike is concentrated in a smaller area.
      > >
      > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, iberdy2 <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I saw this too....the lack of metal flow... AND a small picture with a large description lettering PLUS the "NO RETURNS ACCEPTED" made me shy away from it. BUT your expertise has always amazed me. GL

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic