24278Odd Clip/Genuine

  • fred_weinberg
    Jun 10, 2011
      Yes, as Mike mentiioned, the coin is a genuine clip,
      and I'm looking forward to your analysis of it.

      The seller is a relative of the owner, and as you
      said, he knows pretty much what's a genuine error
      and what's damage......

      I've purchased tens of thousands of errors from
      him in the past 10 years or so, but now, due to
      the new presses, he gets substantially less material
      that in the past, and he has the relative put the
      material up on Ebay.

      He's a great guy, and he'll be in Chicago during
      the ANA. A few of his 'put aside' errors will be
      in the Heritage Pre-ANA auction - a couple of really
      nice items that he wanted to auction......

      > The seller is merely a conduit for coins sent by her consigner. While some have been inaccurately described, I've never encountered a fake.
      >
      > I'm reasonably confident this is genuine because the reverse face shows finning of the rim. This is a common side-effect of large clips, as all the force of the strike is concentrated in a smaller area.
      >
      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, iberdy2 <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I saw this too....the lack of metal flow... AND a small picture with a large description lettering PLUS the "NO RETURNS ACCEPTED" made me shy away from it. BUT your expertise has always amazed me. GL
      > >

      > > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Diamond" <mdia1@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I don't recall having seen another clip exactly like this:
      > > >
      > > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260793748395
      > > >
      > > > It's possible that this is an elliptical clip with one side of the ellipse interrupted by a curved clip. Far less likely is a corner clip interrupted by a curved clip.
      > > >
      > > > I should be in a better position to assess the nature of this clip after it arrives.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic