22918Re: 1959-D Wheat Reverse Cent

  • chrisptaters
    Jun 2, 2010
      Fred,
      I am certainly glad to hear a highly respected expert finally tell the truth about the Secret Service and the U.S. Treasury Dept. I have known this personally from contacting them numerous times concerning counterfeits, and the comments received during my conversation with them. Since the Chinese are producing extremely high quality counterfeit reproductions, I will never purchase a high dollar certified error coin unless it has been examined by trusted professionals as yourself or Mike Diamond.

      --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, fred_weinberg <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > I don't believe the Secret Service would care
      > one iota if the coin were somehow 'proven' to
      > be fake in the future.
      >
      > To the SS, and the Treasury Dept., it's simply
      > a non-precious metal collectable coin, not like
      > counterfeit paper money, or a large quantity of
      > fake dollars, etc.
      >
      > Believe me, if the SS doesn't care about Chinese
      > Counterfeits (and they don't, at this point), they
      > have absolutely no interest in a copper cent of
      > any type.
      >
      > They care about '33 Double Eagles, '64 Peace Dollars,
      > maybe, maybe '74 Aluminum Cents, and any CURRENT
      > problems at the Mints.....they don't care about
      > San Francisco in the 60's/'70's, Denver in the '80's,
      > and are no longer interested in what came out of
      > Philly 10 years ago......
      >
      > Fred
      >

      > --- In errorcoininformationexchange@yahoogroups.com, Steve Frank <taxi_steve929@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Fred,
      > > You may be able to answer this. I can see this coin being sought after simply because it's now famous. Had it been thought genuine, it would have brought a lot more money. My opinion is the buyer is someone who wants a famous coin, one that is well written up, with the possiblity of a famous forger being the person responsible for it. I can see someone with too much money buying it. My question is...What happens if it is someday found to be a forgery?? Is the coin confiscated by the Secret Service?? I'd imagine a scenario of lawyers, judges, and a lot of press.
      > >
      > >                 Steve

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic